Skip to main content
Increasing the Knowledge of Optics ....

Partners

OSA logo



SPIE logo

IEEE Photonics Society logo




Website Sponsors


AEH logo



Coastline Optics logo

Diverse Optics logo

GCL logo

Infinite Optics logo

Luminit logo

MicroLaser logo

Mindrum logo

Newport Labs logo

Optic Systems Group



PI logo

Precision Optical Logo

Elcan logo



Schott logo

Synopsis logo





Corporate Members
Website Sponsorship
HomeOSSC General Information

 

OSSC General Information

 

Background

The Optical Society of Southern California (OSSC) was formed in 1951 to increase and disseminate the knowledge of optics, optical systems and science and was recognized in 1952 as the 8th local section of Optical Society of America. Members consist of optical component and equipment manufacturing companies, research organizations, universities and individuals including engineers, scientists, optical fabricators, mechanical engineers, electrical engineers, software engineers, marketing personnel, consultants, educators, students and many others with interests in optical technology, theory and related technologies.  The OSSC is governed by a Board of Directors consisting of officers elected annually by the membership and appointed committee chairs.

 

Purpose

Article II of the Articles of Incorporation of the Optical Society of Southern California

 

It is the aim and purpose of this society to increase and disseminate the knowledge of Optics and closely allied sciences, to promote the mutual interest of investigators, teachers and students in these fields, and of designers, manufacturers and users of optical instruments and allied scientific apparatus as well as those who have optics as a hobby, and to encourage cooperation and establish acquaintanceship among these persons.

 

The OSSC serves as a forum bringing together optics and photonics scientists, engineers, educators, technicians and business leaders. The OSSC is dedicated to providing its members and the Southern California optics community educational resources that support technical and professional development, to exchange ideas, and network.

 

OSSC Membership

The Society’s current membership consists of approximately 300 Members including over 200 Individual Members, over 75 Corporate Members and a small number of distinguished Fellows.  Over 100 different companies, consulting firms, research centers and educational institutions are represented.  We truly comprise the Southern California Optics community.  About 95% of our members live and work in California; the remaining 5% represent about a half dozen other US states and a small number of foreign countries.  Most of our members are engineers or scientists including several chief scientists, program and department managers; other members are sales and marketing professionals, students or educators.  Among our current members, about 25% are corporate Presidents, Chief Executive Officers or Vice Presidents.

 

Meetings

Monthly meetings are usually held on the second Wednesday of each month from October to June rotating from the South Bay/Los Angeles Airport area, Orange County and the San Gabriel Valley.  Our meetings typically begin with an informal social hour / networking opportunity, starting at 6:00 PM, followed by dinner at 7:00.  A technical presentation, given by a featured speaker, starts at 8:00 and the meeting typically ends at 9:30.  Meetings are held at hotels, restaurants, universities or business establishments.  Dinner is provided at a typical costs of $15 to $25. Thanks to a generous subsidy from the Optical Society of America, meeting attendance is free for students.

 

Most OSSC meetings are open to the public and anyone with an interest in optics is encouraged to attend.

 

Please note:  In some instances the facility at which the OSSC meets may require attendance to be limited to only U.S. citizens or those holding green cards.  A few of our events, primarily because of space limitation, have also been limited to members only.

 

Outreach Events

In addition to our regular meetings, the OSSC also sponsors an annual golf outing and several family oriented outreach and educational events such as an annual Optricks day at the Discover Science Center in Santa Anna.  Additional information is available on the OSSC Outreach page.

 

About the OSSC Website

OSSC website is currently managed by OSSC Webmaster Robert Cartland.  The current website, powered by ClubExpress, was designed and implemented in July, 2009, by Robert Cartland, OSSC President (2009-2010).  Much of the content was developed under Webmaster Charles Gaugh, OSSC President (2006-2007).  Rick Hawley of Electronically Managed Creative Solutions(EMCS), Hamburg, New York assisted with development of our earlier website which shaped the development of our current website.

 

 

 Events Calendar


 LinkedInTwitterFaceBook   Bookmark and Share